Mary J. Sanford, who owned the local Manchester Shopping Mart and was a member of the county's rural library board, donated a corner of her business to be the library, which opened July 1, 1947. In 1953 the library moved temporarily into the Manchester Improvement Club building, and the following year into a 16-foot by 24-foot modular building on Port of Manchester property.
In 1976 the Friends of the Manchester Library became a registered nonprofit organization, sought a loan to build a permanent library building, and with a grant from Kitsap Regional Library, donations, and many hours of volunteer construction, the building was completed in 1980.
The building is surrounded by gardens designed, donated and maintained by volunteers from the Long Lake Garden Club and the Friends of the Library. The gardens are a water-wise teaching garden, used to demonstrate environmentally sound gardening techniques and educate the public on local flora.
- Building owner: Friends of Manchester Library
- Date built: 1980
- Major Remodel: 1994
- Size: 2,800 square feet
- Population served: 9,250
- Meeting Room: The Manchester Branch Library meeting room is available to groups at reasonable rates. The Friends of Manchester Library set the policies for the room rental as well as the rates, user requirements and procedures. For further information and scheduling requests, please contact the library staff during library hours.