The Silverdale location of Kitsap Regional Library will be closed from April 27-30 for building updates. We encourage Silverdale patrons to visit KRL.org to use the Library's digital resources or stop by one of the other Library locations. All library materials currently checked out can be renewed online. Bookdrops at Silverdale will continue to be available for returns during this period.
Silverdale has had a library since 1945 when the county library district was formed. In 1946, the Silverdale Library Committee remodeled a 16-foot by 16-foot Army surplus building for use as the library. By 1958, the small building was inadequate. Volunteers remodeled and expanded the building to 16 feet by 30 feet.
In 1970, the Friends of the Silverdale Library launched a building campaign led by Ray M. Hess. In just 6 months, enough money was raised to build a 1,000-square-foot structure.
The Navy's decision in the mid 1970s to make Bangor the west coast Trident submarine base spurred enormous growth in the area. To qualify for Trident Impact Funds, the Friends gave ownership of the building to Kitsap Regional Library. KRL applied for those funds in 1974 and the expansion to the library's current size was completed in 1980. The original Ray M. Hess Library, now called the Hess room, is still a part of the library and functions as a meeting room and staff work space.
In 2015 the Kitsap Regional Library Foundation began raising money for a new Silverdale Library. Click Here for more details.
- Building owner: Kitsap Regional Library
- Date built: 1973
- Expansion/Remodel: 1980
- Size: 4,950 square feet
- Population served: 63,109