With a wait more than three decades long, the Central Kitsap community will finally be getting not only an inspiring new library in Silverdale, but a true community campus!
The new Silverdale library will be co-located on the Central Kitsap School District (CKSD) campus on the corner of Anderson Hill and Bucklin Hill Roads. This wonderful opportunity was brought to the Library by CKSD in early 2018. Kitsap Regional Library and Central Kitsap School District entered into a long-term partnership agreement that was approved by both boards as of September 26, 2018.
- An existing building on the campus will be extensively remodeled to house both the CKSD administration center and the new library. The new library will be more than twice as big as the current one. It will have large windows to infuse the space with natural light, and views towards Dyes Inlet and Mount Rainier.
- Kitsap Regional Library Foundation is actively raising $5.5M to make this happen and expect to launch a community campaign in the summer of 2020 to help reach our goal.
- Parking will be plentiful. During weekday hours, there will be at least 4x as many parking spots as there are at the Old Town Silverdale library. Evenings, weekends and school holidays, there will be at least 8x more.
- This will truly be a community campus! Besides a high school, middle school and a 900-seat community auditorium, there will be outdoor space available in many forms: amphitheater, plentiful landscaped space to play or sit, a walking trail, sports fields and tennis courts. Except for the schools themselves, all will be available to the community outside of school needs.
- October 2018: The Library began its work with architects and interior designers to design the library and shared space, in partnership with CKSD.
- April 2019: State awards Kitsap Regional Library Foundation a total of $1.85M in the capital budget ($250K of that from the 2018 capital budget).
- Summer-Fall 2019 – Sometime after graduation, the high school will be moved into its new location. The main part of the old building will then be razed, leaving a 40,000 square foot 1970s addition to the high school which will become the new library and CKSD administration center. Nearby portable buildings will also be removed, clearing the way to begin development of the site in the fall. This timeline will be updated as details become available from CKSD.
- The building remodel is expected to begin in the summer of 2020. By summer of 2021, Central Kitsap will have a new library.
For more information about our final fundraising push or to donate, contact us at the Kitsap Regional Library Foundation: (360) 405-9150 or email@example.com.
Lower Meeting Room