A small library above the Island’s Port Madison mill store in 1863 was the second community public library in all of Puget Sound. A number of small libraries were supported on the Island during the first half of the 20th Century.
Since 1947, Kitsap Regional Library has provided library service and the strength of a county-wide collection to Island residents.
The first Rotary Auction, a community-wide garage sale that is now an Island institution, was held to raise money for the new library, which was built in 1962. A children's library space was created in the lower floor of the library in 1968. Supported by local fundraising, there was a building addition in 1982 and a total renovation in 1997.
Junkoh Harui and the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Community donated a magnificent garden to the library. A remarkable team of volunteers led by nationally recognized garden writer Ann Lovejoy maintains the garden, recognized by the American Library Association as the Best Library Garden in 2000.