Kitsap Regional Library Board of Trustees sets library policies governing activities such as access to Library materials, rights and responsibilities of Library users and use of Library-owned facilities. All of our current policies are incorporated into the Policy Handbook shared below.
STANDARDS FOR PATRON CONDUCT
Kitsap Regional Library is open to the public for the specified purposes of reading, studying, researching, meeting and using Library resources appropriately. Standards for patron conduct promote an environment that encourages all Library patrons to be responsible for their personal safety, the safety of the children in their care, the security of their personal belongings and the respect of others.
The following are Library standards:
1. Library patrons will be engaged in normal activities associated with its use. Patrons not engaged in reading, studying, research, meeting or using Library resources appropriately may be asked to leave the building.
2. Children below school age must be accompanied and supervised by an adult at all times. Library staff is not responsible for the care, safety and supervision of children.
3. Library patrons will respect the rights and privacy of other patrons, Library staff and volunteers and will not annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, cell phone use, monopolizing resources or other behavior that may reasonably result in the disturbance of others.
4. Library patrons are expected to wear appropriate clothing while in the Library, including shirts and shoes. Personal hygiene will conform to the standards of the community for public places. This includes the repair or cleanliness of clothing and bodily hygiene.
5. Physical, sexual or verbal harassment of other Library patrons, Library staff and volunteers will not be tolerated.
6. Smoking or other tobacco use is not allowed on library property.
7. Library staff reserves the right to limit or prohibit the consumption of food and beverages within any Library facility.
8. Pets or animals, other than service animals, may not be brought into the Library without prior permission of Library staff.
9. Library patrons will not interfere with the free passage of others in or onto Library premises including, but not limited to, placing objects such as bicycles, skateboards or leashed animals in areas where they may impede movement.
10. Library patrons may not bring into the library large bundles or packages which cannot be placed safely within the patron’s personal space. Patrons may not leave or store any bundles, bags or packages unattended on the library premises.
Library staff and/or local law enforcement officers will intervene when standards for patron conduct are not being met. This may be up to and including written trespass, arrest and prosecution.
RCW 27.12.290: A board of library trustees may exclude from the use of the library under its charge any person who willfully and persistently violates any rule or regulation prescribed for the use of the library or its facilities or any person whose physical condition is deemed dangerous or offensive to other library patrons.
MEETING ROOM POLICY
It is the intention of Kitsap Regional Library to provide free, accessible meeting rooms which support the needs of our communities. Library meeting rooms are available to the public on equal terms, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the individuals or groups requesting their use. Meeting attendees must abide by the following provisions, the Standards for Patron Conduct, as well as guidelines specific to each of our nine locations.
1. All meetings must be open to the public and attendance may not be restricted based on gender, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
2. Meeting rooms are available on a first come, first served basis. Library programs and library-sponsored events will be given priority in the use of meeting room space. The Library and/or building owner, reserve the right to limit, cancel, or change reservations.
3. Library staff are not responsible for the setting up or taking down of equipment.
4. Use of the Library meeting room does not constitute endorsement by the Library of a program or points of view expressed. No advertisement or announcement implying sponsorship, co-sponsorship or approval by the Library may be used unless written permission to do so had been previously given by the Library Director or designee.
5. The Library does not assume liability for injuries or damage to personal property that occur as a result of meeting room usage by outside parties.
6. The applicant for the room is responsible for any damage to the facility, property, or equipment and for the cleanliness of the facility at the close of the meeting.
7. With the exception of the Manchester and Bainbridge Island location meeting rooms, which are owned and operated by outside parties, meetings planned by a business or individual to promote, advertise, or lead to the sale of a product or service are not permitted. Further, paid services may not be provided as part of the meeting room use, nor may admittance fees be charged for attendance. Fundraising activities of Kitsap Regional Library, recognized Friends of the Library groups, the Kitsap Regional Library Foundation or for the sale of materials related to a program sponsored by the Library, Friends, or Foundation are permitted.
8. Applicants denied the use of a meeting room may appeal the decision to the Branch Manager within ten days from the date of denial of use. If the appeal to the Branch Manager is denied and the applicant is still dissatisfied with the reasons offered, the applicant may then choose to file a formal complaint under the Patron Grievance Policy.